Christine O'Donnell makes her second third bid today to be the first woman elected to the Senate from Delaware.
9/16: Best. Rant. Ever. Compliments of Dennis Miller:
You’re missing the point Karl. The formula, the slide rules, all the crap you’ve been using to, I’ll admit you were a genius at it, but it’s over. The template has changed. The people aren’t going to be satisfied with less hacky hacks like Castle anymore. They don’t care if he was in politics for 30 years. In fact that’s exactly what they didn’t like about him. They don’t care if he’s your friend. They want something different.
Conservative women have let you guys run things because quite frankly I think women are smart enough to know that politics is crap. But they aren’t going to be baking cookies for your rallies anymore. They’ve had enough. You guys weren’t holding the line anymore. They have picked up the pitchforks and are marching through the streets to put an end to this insanity. They may be in cute furry bear suits but do NOT be fooled. If you get out in the street and start trying to direct them like YOU think YOU are going to be the general, they will RUN OVER YOU. You will have paw prints on your (bleeped) and pitchforks up your (bleeped.) They’ve had it, it’s OVER.
This evening (09/15):
- Esquire tells us what some men think. Do you really need any more reason to support this woman than to thwart the sorry careers of these hirsute buffoons? If nothing else they won’t be able to bully some poor 19 year old they’ve sexually abused and discarded into getting an abortion she doesn’t really want. Because Christine O’Donnell will personally ban abortion in America. I mean seriously, if she’s already taken down the GOP, what chance does abortion really stand?!?!?!?!?
- WKJM and his Joshbots continue to try vainly to employ the slut strategy on a person who may be the only virgin to ever run for a Senate seat. Shorter TPM: She’s talked about sex! And she does not support our right to fuck vaginas whenever we feel like it! She’s even against us watching other people have sex behind our spouses’ backs! WTF!?? My take: A female/politician against porn? Awesome!
- ThinkProgress and its NeoProg audience: O’Donnell is too honest and therefore stupid. And racist. She killed hypothetical Jewish people in a stupid scenario imagined by Bill Mahr.
- Christine O’Donnell herself calls it correctly: cannibalism. Isn’t that what sexism/misogyny metaphorically is? Sacrificing half the population to fatten the bellies of the other half?
- Holy shit, yeah! Jeri Thompson shows us why Sarah Palin’s feminist revolution is so important. Do you think a conservative woman could have written an article lambasting the sexism of Republican men and had it published just three years ago? Money quote (which goes perfectly with our sexism and elitism theme):
A strong, vocal woman upturned the political tables in Delaware, a state where both political parties have been run like blue-blooded patriarchies for the better part of half a century, and all the boys that compose “the establishment” can muster is omniscient edicts about her absolute un-electability in a general election.
The morning after up-date:
- Mike Castle is an elitist dick. The GOP male hierarchy is a class full of elitist, sexist dicks.
- Michelle Malkin reports on Rove and the GOP establishment’s hissy fit over O’Donnell’s win. Can you recall them doing this a male Tea Party candidate? I can’t, but if I’m wrong, shot it out in comments!
- Wonk the Vote takes on the elitist Conventional Wisdom of the political class at The Confluence.
- A Joshbot over at TPM carries water for Obama already. That was fast! Jacobson was right that the left will try to add the “sluts” strategy to the right’s “nuts” strategy! This will be hilarious since O’Donnell is seriously pro-abstinence.
I hope she wins. I don’t even like some of her politics, but I still hope she wins. I hope she surprises everyone and that all the folks calling the political news these days have to eat their socks. I’d love to have them served a heaping helping of toe jam by a working class gal.
The New Agenda published my article today on the sexism that has increasingly been the focus of the intra-party battle between Christine O’Donnell and Mike Castle in the Delaware Senate race. It’s worth a read.
In addition to the overt and covert sexism propagated by the Republican establishment in Delaware and the national level, O’Donnell has been subject to elitist classism, much like her recent endorser, Sarah Palin, did in 2008. This time the classism and associated sexism is coming from the Right instead of the Left, but you can be sure the Left will pick up the mantle for their friends on the Right should O’Donnell beat Castle today. I expect she will, if the polls are correct.
Because the primary is today, and because O’Donnell has a shot in a state that still, 230-someodd years after our founding and 90 years after women got the vote, has not elected a woman to the Senate or Governor’s office, O’Donnell and Delaware are currently dominating the media markets. Last minute support and last minute dirty tricks are the order of the day. All eyes will be on Delaware tonight as the last round of primaries comes to a close. I’ll be updating this thread throughout the day and in coming days to record and report the incidents of sexism and elitism being employed against O’Donnell.
Exhibit number 1 is the flip side of the Money Trap I’ve written about before. Continue reading