This has been the refrain I’ve been hearing for months now as progressives and liberals desperately attempt to cling to the image of Obama that they want to believe in, instead of the one they got. So let’s take a look at this claim, shall we?
The subtext of “the alternative would have been worse” is that Republican policies would be furthered if McCain had won. Sometimes it means that we’d be worse off with Hillary Clinton, but only media-manipulated 20- & 30-somethings of the professional class believe that anymore, and that’s only because they can’t let go of the little black seeds Republicans & the media planted in their hearts during their childhoods.
No, what they really mean is that Republicans are the alternative that would’ve been worse. But how so? Here are some talking points to push back against the pro-Obama chorus, and to add a little amplification to the voices of opposition. Feel free to copy and paste this list anywhere on the web (but please try to redirect readers here when you can).
- If McCain had won, we’d still be at war in Iraq.
- If McCain had won, we’d have sent more troops to Afghanistan.
- If McCain had won, Guantanamo would still be open.
- If McCain had won, a woman’s right to choose would be restricted further.
- If McCain had won, the government would protect corporations over people.
- If McCain had won, unconstitutional W. Bush–era practices would still be in place.
Doh! Yeah, the alternative would’ve been so much worse. We might actually have a Republican promoting the Republican agenda, instead of a Democrat promoting the Republican agenda. So, again, how’s that hopey-changey thing working out for ya? Oh, and can you hear me now?