In Case You Were Wondering

How far we’ve come, here’s the naked truth; and perhaps the most enlightening article I’ve read this year.

9 comments on “In Case You Were Wondering

1. SYD says:

Not surprising…. just infuriating….

2. Janis says:

I have always known with the certainty of the sunrise that this was the case, no matter how many male peers have fallen over themselves to convince me otherwise while practicing this sort of invisible dismissal. Often, the ONLY reason you are sneered at, dismissed, talked down to, and treated like an idiot is that YOU ARE A WOMAN. Period.

And why am I not shocked that it was a woman who outed her?

3. Patti says:

Wow. Thanks for sharing. It shouldn’t have to be this way.

4. Tinderella says:

An advantage to the internet is that we can masquerade as men and thus be taken seriously.

Of course we shouldn’t have to pretend but that’s current reality. I vote we all do it, confuse the men.
    When I post as a woman, I’m dismissed. When I post as a man, I’m respected. Try it yourselves and you’ll see.

Those were my thoughts, exactly, Tinderella. Thanks to Syd, Janis and Patti for comments as well.

I posted this article because it never occurred to me to masquerade as a man; I thought we’d made such good progress that women no longer has to follow in the tradition of George Sands, but I was wrong. In the future, I will be testing out this theory myself. But I’m pissed off as hell that I have to.

6. Janis says:

Strange and tangential comment, but this is one of the reasons I like orchestras and classical music. All the good orchestras (almost ALL of orchestras period) have blind auditions.

They didn’t used to. And mirabile dictu, suddenly orchestras that had been 100% male for decades became 50% female. 🙂

I once went to a concer by the LA chamber orchestra (REALLY good one, too) where the violin section was quite literally all-but-one female. Chamber orchestras especially are overwhelmingly female nowdays since blind auditions. It’s FANTASTIC, a real thumb in the eye of sexism in the arts.

Oh, that’s a great point, Janis. I heard about this just last year and I would love to see this practice expanded.

8. Janis says:

Could you imagine the complete and utter path of destruction blind auditions would lay though thel andscape of macho rock music? Heh heh heh … just thinking about it warms the cockles of my black little heart. :->

9. Tom says:

I, too, have a “strange and tangential” comment: The musician/producer Brian End *focused* on the feminine during the 70s because of the *over-emphasis* on the masculine in – at the least – rock music.
    Also, he’s said/written quite a few things on the important things women have been doing for QUITE a long time.
    Of course such contributions (by countless women) may be/are forgotten, unknown or consciously/selectively overlooked.

Tom (not a pseudonym)