Get in Their Faces: Updated x2

Alright, with this, I’ve blown my fucking top. It’s past time to fight back. It is time to get in their faces and let them know this is unacceptable. The blatant sexism and misogyny must stop, the double standards all over the place must stop. Do you need any more proof than this:

Sarah Palin lynched in effigy.

that sexism and misogyny are far more acceptable than racism in the culture? Imagine if this was an effigy of Obama in a noose. Would it fly? Would people being saying it was icky, but “it made me laugh, so?” No, they would not. Do you know why? Because you can’t lynch a black man in this country anymore (thank gawd), even a fake dummy version of him, but you can do any goddamn thing you want to a woman. If there’s a penalty, it’s light. If you know her, it’s even lighter. And that’s utter fucking bullshit. Even the bullshit artist that created this piece of shit knows it.

“I know if we had done it with Barack Obama, people would’ve probably thrown things through our windows,” Morrisette said. “The image of a hanged black man is a lot more intense than the image of a hanged white woman — for our country — in the history of our country.”

The person responsible for this bullshit lives in West Hollywood. His name is Chad Michael Morisette–he calls it art and has a budding art career in Hollywood. It’s time we got in his face and stopped him, and got in the faces of any motherfucker who supports this monster or shit like this. I don’t have his contact information, but I will publish it the minute I receive it if someone offers it. His contact information appears to be:

1253 N Orange Grove Ave

West Hollywood, CA 90046-5311

(323) 822-9383

Call him and give him an earful. Follow up with a letter and send it snail-mail. Inundate this motherfucker with our outrage. We’ve got a point of focus, so let’s use it! Let’s make him wish he had the kind of cultural sensitivity toward gender issues he has toward race issues. And if you see him, absolutely give him an earful. This is still a free country and your speech is still protected and you can say anything you want to him on the street. He’s done the same to you with his image–he’s told you you don’t matter because you have a vagina, and you are fair game for lynching, and that it’s funny. Don’t touch him in any way, but lay into him with your words. Remind him, if you like, that it’s not funny, and Halloween doesn’t excuse it, ESPECIALLY during Domestic Violence Awareness Month (which October is). (h/t TGW)

Chad Michael Morisette

But don’t stop there. Get mad and get even. Whenever you see this kind of bullshit, or even the bullshit like coverage of Palin’s wardrobe, swarm the bastards. Make their phones ring off the hook. Clog their e-mail filters. Harrass their receptionists. Stalk their workplaces and corporate offices. Bug their sponsors. Don’t just take it. That’s why they’re able to do it. Because we take it. We have got to fight back in an organized way. Impact. We’ve got to create impact.

UPDATE: H/T commenter Chevalier:

(See here: http://www.storeadore.com/sdev/store_profile.php?storeID=2353)

You can email Roseark at sales@roseark.com

Harass anybody who supports this guy. They’re all complicit.

UPDATE the Second: Via an anonymous tipster in comments:

STATEMENT FROM ROSEARK –

It has come to our attention that the window display designer Chad Michael Morrissette who has designed windows at our former store Kaviar and Kind, has displayed a distasteful rendering of the Republican Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates in front of his home. The current store and gallery Roseark has no association with Chad Michael Morrissette and is in no way connected to this latest stunt.

44 comments on “Get in Their Faces: Updated x2

1. Palomino says:

But, hey, it’s ART, Anna!

Like something I saw a few years ago in front of an “alternative” art “collective.” A squirrel had been run over in the street, so an “artist” placed a barrier around its body and let the body decompose. Even that little project could be linked back to Duchamp’s “readymades,” I suppose. But this? What do you link this back to, other than white hoods and robes and witch burnings and centuries of murderous misogyny?

Oh well, boys will be boys, even in West Hollywood.

Here’s what Chad has to say about it: “It should be seen as art, and as within the month of October. It’s Halloween, it’s time to be scary it’s time to be spooky.”

OK. Fine. Maybe Chad would get a clue if somebody, in the spirit of Halloween, put up a special Halloween fence with an effigy of Matthew Shepard’s naked body tied to it, maybe with a pumpkin head. How scary and spooky would that be, Chad?

Good point on Shepard, Palomino. Exactly on hoods, robes, and murderous misogyny. There is nothing redemptive about it at all–it’s only offensive. That makes it another pop cultural pile of shit, and I refuse to degrade art by labeling it as such. His phone must be already ringing off the hook because of media. I’ve been getting a busy signal for almost an hour now.

3. Steve says:

As a Democratic voter I am livid over the fact this larva brain has done to disparge Palin.

4. Loretta says:

Thank you very much for Mr. Morisette’s address.

5. lee M. says:

That low life scumbag should be charged with inciting violence against women. Some of the nuts who follow Obama just might think this is an invitation to act out their hatred for Palin by attacking any woman they see.

This is the sort of thing that will stick in the subconsious mind of some of these obsessed obomabots and when they get a little high they might think it a good idea to act it out.

In this period of highly charged emotions, the police should put a stop to this.

If that was an efigy of Obama, his windows would all have been broken out by now, and the artist (artist?) would be in jail.

6. Chevalier says:

Also, do email a store, Roseark, that proudly proclaims to carry this douchebag’s “awe-inspiring sculptures” (See here: http://www.storeadore.com/sdev/store_profile.php?storeID=2353)

You can email Roseark at sales@roseark.com

This is what I just told them:
    After this: http://cbs2.com/local/Sarah.Palin.mannequin.2.849299.html
    are you still carrying the dickhead Chad Michael Morisette’s “awe-inspiring sculptures”? Anyone who is willing to display publicly, from his home, an object of such extreme misogyny, especially during Domestic Violence Awareness month (October) should be sent straight to prison, not celebrated as an artist.

Please remove this guy and all of his work from your studio immediately.

7. WALLSTREETER says:

TO HANG SOMEONE IN EFFIGY IS PROOF THAT CHAD IS A SPINELESS PUNK WHO IS IN FEAR OF MCAIN AND PALIN RAINING ON THE PARADE OF HAND-OUT WANTING SCUM BY CUTTING OUT THE DEMOCRATIC PORK BARREL SHIT THAT FEEDS CHAD AND THE OTHER BLEEDING HOLLYWOOD LIBERALS WHO PUT OUT SHIT FOR MOVIES AND TALK SHOWS. GET A REAL JOB AND THEN YOU START SHARING THE WEALTH YOU SOCIALIST PIG.

Thanks, Chev. I’ve updated the post to include that information.

9. Of course, if the dick had put an empty noose there, then Jackson and Sharpton Outrage Inc. would be there with a large troupe of buffoons and imbeciles and the media.

10. steffy says:

WHY is anyone surprised at this?

This is the other side of our society. The Rap, SNL, Liberalism, etc. All really negative, no talent nothings.

Do you realize that Britney Spears has just had the NUMBER 1 record in the nation? This junkie, white trash, low life has a #1 record after all the reported crap! WHAT does it say about a huge chunk of our society? This is what they THRIVE on.

The benchmark has been lowered SO MUCH that you have things like Britney, Rap, etc., taking the lead. You also have a Democrat like Obama able to get close to being elected the President of The United States. This Muslim is NO John Kennedy, The Democrat of yesterday. He is Jay-Z and Britney Spears….more Jay-Z.

This Chad Michael Morisette is not an artist. He is a young liberal who is playing the game of art in 2008. Dumb it down, insult, hurt, anger and you are on to something.

The Emporor’s New Cloths comes to mind with most of these things in the USA society of 2008.

11. anonymous90046 says:

West Hollywood, CA 90046-5339
    (323) 650-7931

Zolot, May
    1247 N Orange Grove Ave, Apt 308
    West Hollywood, CA 90046-5339
    (323) 848-8208

I’ve amended the post to include Roseark’s statement, but Chev, do you know if Morrissette’s name was listed as a “designer” on the site earlier today? I want to document this correctly, and if they just removed his name to protect themselves, that needs to be known. If they’ve ended a relationship with him, that needs to be known too.

Ha! Fantastic, Andy! Thank you.

Do be nice to them, because I understand a number of them are opposed to the display. Just ask them how they feel about it, and if they are opposed, ask if there is anything you can do to help them to get it taken down.

But that’s beautiful. Obama said to get in your neighbor’s faces. Well, we’re getting in everyone’s faces over this bullshit. ‘Bout time.

15. JenniferB says:

(323) 882-8587

Hitt, Mike
    1315 N Orange Grove Ave
    West Hollywood, CA 90046-4710
    (323) 882-8587

17. Andy says:

YES! Please be nice to them. We just want to be heard like their neighbor.

18. Chevalier says:

Anna!!! Wow, this place is buzzing – good, good stuff.

I got the same statement emailed from Roseark, apparently the guy (Chad) designed the windows at the now-defunct store at the same location. They’ve said they have no connection wih him and have disavowed this “latest stunt”. So please update your post’s action items.

_______________

STATEMENT FROM ROSEARK –

19. Cate says:

Regardless of Roseark’s statement, I just emailed them an earful. The more we pressure them the more they will pressure him. And, his professional career may be effected by this as well.

Thank you Team Anna Belle!

20. […] Against Women in the United States Where to voice complaints & outrage, follow this link: Get in Their Faces: Updated x2 peacocks and lilies __________________ Say it ain’t so, […]

21. Janice says:

I, too, am outraged and blogged about this crap. I’m a woman, a feminist but also a liberal and an Obama supporter … as such you all may not be inclined to take my advise but I will share it with you anyway. I don’t want to discourage anyone from exercising their power and their 1st amendment rights, but I urge anyone who calls or writes this guy to be very careful about HOW you express your disgust. You don’t have to be NICE but please try to treat it as if you were making a complaint to a business – calm and professional. While expressing your opinion to him is protected speech, harassing a private citizen is not. Don’t give this bastard a handle to bring charges or file suit against anyone expressing their very justifiable anger over this.

That seems like good advice, Janice. Thanks.

23. Jill says:

The best part of this ordeal was that it led me to your website. I thank you!
    West Hollywood Sheriffs: 323-650-4142 CALL THEM AND DEMAND THEY ARREST THIS GUY!!

24. Jet Jagger says:

Chad Michael Morisette…

On behalf of my wife and mother; I’d like to kick your fucking ass (so badly, in fact, that my back teeth ache from clamping my jaw so tightly when I think about people like you). Be glad I’m not in California you fuckard. I am a 9-year vet formerly with 3BN/75th Rangers and 1BN/7th Mechanized Infantry, and I didn’t sign up to defend your libertard B.S. Bags of flesh and water like you need a good ass-whooping. If you have an opinion, state your opinion fairly and squarely. Help to FIX the problems, but KNOWING that Obama effigies cannot be hanged, you are taking advantage of the freedoms I helped to defend. For that, the millions of active/reserve combat soldiers and countless vets who are seeing this story (about your effigy) unfold should rein down on your pathetic, socialist-loving, [deleted] self until you do what your Dear Leader Obama cannot do – APOLOGIZE.

[deleted]

Jet, sorry, but I had to delete a bit of your post. I left up the bulk of it because I think it’s honest and I appreciate your outrage. I share it. I can’t allow offensive language about GLTB folks, though, so I had to censor that.

26. Jill says:

And what does this say to our children? In an age of disobedience, it tells kids it’s ok to lynch a female vice-presidential candidate.

27. Jet Jagger says:

As a husband who has jumped on the feminist bandwagon (once I actually allowed myself to see past my own nose and quit being an asshole about it due to my ignorant perceptions — there, I said it), I have come to respect the women in my life so much more for their struggles while recognizing their many achievements as actually being greater, in many respects, than those of ‘men’. With that being said, seeing the effigy of Gov. Palin HANGING BY A NOOSE makes me angrier when I imagine if that were MY WIFE or MOTHER being hanged [in effigy] for their beliefs.

I will pray for this Morisette guy. I will pray that he is safe in the nights to come. There are hundreds-of-thousands of men like me who are almost beyond our breaking points – so much so that [I] have taken to confronting people who pull up with Obama stickers on their cars to ask them WHY they are voting for Obama. Sadly, most of them don’t have an answer other than, “I think our country needs change.” Period.

With liberals, the Democratic party, and the media that supports them while practicing protectionism over Obama, I feel dark days are ahead for The United State of America should he be elected.

Hell, I can’t even say, “The United States of America” and “Obama” in the same sentence. It just doesn’t fit.

28. Jet Jagger says:

Anna Belle, probably a good thing you **bleeped** those parts out. I think I made my point clear enough without them. By the way, you should check out the AOL straw pole.

TOTALLY DIFFERENT figures than the national polls quoted by the cable news channels.

29. Jet Jagger says:

Anna Belle, feel free to replace my “French” in the previous post with asterisks if you desire. I won’t be offended. I was just so steamed after seeing this story on Greta (FOX) that I followed a link to your blog from another post elsewhere. Sorry to “unload” here, but I had to vent.

30. Janice says:

Someone mentioned on another site that this guy may get a knock on the door from the Secret Service. I sure hope so. Maybe that will scare him into taking it down. I don’t think he is really going to try to commit violence against McCain or Palin but they take these kinds of things quite seriously. Ultimately, however, I think this may be protected speech, repugnant as it is. I am unsure how much good it does for people outside of West Hollywood to call the Sheriff’s department. Although it’s clear his neighbors are pissed about it so if anything can be done, I’m sure the LASD will do it. I’ve dealt with them before and they are pretty no nonsense.

31. JazzyKat says:

I’ve submitted this to the FBI. The LAPD doesn’t consider it a hate-crime, because of course the person hanging by a noose isn’t black. However, I submit any thing that can be perceived as an act or threat of violence to a President or Vice Presidential candidate is a Federal crime.

I submitted the man’s name, address and phone number to the FBI for investigation. Maybe they will do something!

32. JazzyKat says:

Janice: Ultimately, however, I think this may be protected speech, repugnant as it is.

—————-

It wouldn’t be considered protected speech if it was Obama’s effigy in a noose…it would be considered a racist hate-crime.

It’s time the double standard stop. This is more than a Halloween prank…This is a violent protrayal of what I see as a perceived threat to a Vice Presidential and Presidential candidate that has went way over the line. Anyway, the FBI have been notified and I hope they will do something. If not, I’ll contact the secret service next.

33. Mitch says:

Hello…Iv’e read the article and every comment made on here. Regardless of what you believe politically or religiously, it will be beyond comprehension & reason if this type of expression is allowed to go unpunished. As a Christian, I wish Mr. Morrisette no harm personally, & will pray for him. But the choices we make in life have consequences. (ref: the biblical law of sowing & reaping). May I also add a fervent prayer with 7 days left to this most important election, ‘God have mercy & pity on our divided nation, & save us from the certain calamity we face if BHO is President’. I couldn’t imagine a worse fate for America than to elect a radical, socialistic/marxist leader of the ‘free world’.

God Bless & protect us all!

34. Janice says:

Actually no, not really. Not in Ohio for instance:
    http://www.oxfordpress.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/local/2008/10/21/hjn102208obamaghostweb.html This wasn’t a “Halloween prank” either – the man who put it up admitted it was a racist statement. The community spoke out against the above “display.” The Secret Service investigated it (as I hope they do this guy) but ultimately they didn’t do much about it. Also didn’t get nearly the coverage the “display” under discussion is getting. It’s largely local coverage only. This West Hollywood effigy nastiness has been covered in national newspapers and on major networks (Fox, MSNBC, CBS etc.)

Now if this guy had hung his display over a predominantly AA church or at an Obama field office, that would be probably be seen as a hate crime. Or if Chad had hung his “display” at a women’s clinic, a NOW office or a McCain/Palin office, that certainly would have been a hate crime. And I do agree that the Secret Service or some other appropriate agency should at least knock on this guy’s door. I just think its unlikely to come to anything more than the Obama display in Ohio.

I’m disappointed in some of the liberal sites for not taking it up especially after all the sturm and drang over the less than stellar behavior of some people who happen to support the Republican ticket. I’ve posted on several about it because I am pissed as hell. I think it is right that whatever your political views, we should call out hate when we see it, regardless of who the source is.

I appreciate Annabelle bringing this up and giving folks a place to express their outrage at it. We may not agree on other political issues but on the still heavy burden of sexism in this country we can definitely agree.

35. In Jenna, Louisiana a kid drove down the street with a noose dangling out the bed of his pick-up truck and he was convicted of a hate crime. This country is lost. No terrorist attack can be as bad as a country full of turds like Morrisette and Pelosi and Waters and Feinstein and Boxer and D.C. Madame Barney Frank and oh yeah, Obama.

36. Janice says:

In addition to contacting the homeowner, his neighbors and law enforcement, I would suggest a letter to the editor of the LA Times:
    E-mail: oped@latimes.com
    Phone: (213) 237-7930
    And the Daily Bruin Viewpoint (although I normally don’t find non-student/faculty opinions printed there) viewpoint@media.ucla.edu
    Jessica Roy, Viewpoint Editor – jroy@media.ucla.edu
    I’m currently drafting a letters to the Advocate and Ms. Magazine.

37. SeekingFairness says:

Just want to register my two-cents:

Chad-Michael Morisette: Take them down! You are a disgusting pig, who apparently will do ANYTHING to be relevant. You are not — but your acts of violence, shrouded by the cloak of Halloween, DO prove you to be a world-class jerk! Somehow, I sense your family, friends and neighbors already know this, and now so does the entire world.

This is not art. Take the hanging woman down. Take the burning man down. You are hateful. You are what is wrong with this country. Your neighbors apparent complacency is what’s wrong with this country.

You are just what is wrong on so many levels. Period.

Thanks, I feel slightly better now.

38. […] wasn’t that difficult to find Chad Michael Morrisette’s address. West Hollywood isn’t that far away from me. But a big part of me was disinterested in […]

39. AlannVT says:

You know what sucks? This loser has forgotten that he is inciting more hatred towards gay people like me. He’s never experienced (as I have) 10 guys with baseball bats threatening and calling him a faggot.

Making a joke out of killing someone is NEVER the right thing to do and this stupid man needs a lesson taught to him BADLY.

West Hollywood is NOT the real world, and it’s about time this guy realizes that his actions, this so called “Art” is going to affect gay people in a negative way by making it O.K. for the “Tit-for-Tat” crowd to possibly justify violence against gay people.

Above all, please remember that most people find this display stupid and ugly, especially gay people.

I’m glad to see that most of the comments on here stayed away from comments about Gay people and concentrated on the real issue here: It’s NOT funny and it’s NOT art. As much as I disagree with Palin, she deserves respect.

40. Jill says:

I still didn’t know who Barack Obama was, and what he REALLY stands for until yesterday.

This is a verifiable, honest look at the man and what he believes and what he’s done. DEFINITELY WORTH A LOOK BEFORE VOTING.

41. […] Get in Their Faces: This was my post on the Sarah-Palin-lynched-in-effigy debacle. This post went semi-viral because it was linked to from several blogs on all sides of the political debate. This post was also a turning point for me in terms of embracing my anger and frustration with misogyny and sexism. […]

42. The thing about that picture is that it’s extremely offensive. Morisette really didn’t think about how it would effect everyone (not just the feminists) in the world. Or Maybe he did and he just didn’t care. All in all, I’m a guy that sells decorative window films and even I, someone from Japan who came to this country with strict sometimes down right weird traditions, can see how outrageous this is.