1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease one 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
3. In a saucepan, combine the shortening, water, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand until cool.
4. Stir the flour and baking soda into the cooled raisin mixture, and mix until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Be sure not to use more than 3 cups of flour. Also be sure that the raisin mixture has cooled before the flour and baking soda are added, and cool the cake thoroughly before cutting.
Variations: Omit the raisins, or use dried cherries instead
Servings per recipe: 24
Calories per serving: 234 (8.8 fat grams/79.2 fat calories)
Cross-posted from Palomino’s Paddock