A Way Out of the Web

Wow, our Cincinnati meeting was fantastic! So much energy, commiseration, and so many ideas! I’m sold on the local PUMA cell idea as a result, so much so that I went and signed up to organize the group in Louisville. If you’re interested in setting up something in your area, or joining something in your area, please visit 18 Million Voices today.

It was a small group, but an enthusiastic and busy one. I know I’ll leave someone out, but here goes: Amy organized the event, and Peacocks and Lilies reader and commenter Ciardah (pronounced Kerry) was there. Also in attendance was Rachel, Diane, Joseph, and one other woman who’s name escapes me (I’m so sorry). And then there was Miriam. Miriam already runs a group whose name already escapes me (somebody please chime in with the name or the URL to her website in comments or e-mail). Anyway, her site and her group are impressive, and she’s been working for women’s causes for years. Here’s a pic of us at the Panera in Norwood/Hyde Park area of Cinti.

All of these people wanted to know what it was they could do to move this movement along. So, after we read the Declaration of Resolutions, we talked about that. We exchanged ideas on how to get out of the web, and our purposes for doing so. Recruiting, for instance. It’s so important. I suggested the Huffpost’s searchable database of campaign contributers for building a mailing list for your area. I’ve got 40 or so local names, and it just occurred to me at the meeting that I could use them, and names I gather from Louisville to solicit people for meetings. A 100-pack of postcards is just $11.99 at Staples and postcard stamps are just $0.27. Hmmm, that’s s lot of advertising for just under $40. Direct mail…where’ve I’ve heard that term…hmmm. Some of the people in attendance today also had e-mail lists they used for other purposes, they knew people, family members, and we all agreed, this thing is bigger than it can ever get while it’s confined to the Internet. And something needs to trigger that.

These are the kinds of ideas that spontaneously come up in person. Out of the Web, i.e. the Intertoobz, the Stuposphere.

Don’t get me wrong, I love it here. I “meet” people I might otherwise never have met. I read things the likes of which I will never ever see in any kind of so-called “professional” media. As a mother, I’ve spent a lot of my social life with my computer, because it allowed me to have a link to the outside world at a time when I needed to be physically in place for my daughter. And I have often loved it, sometimes hated it, but always, always, always learned something about the world, my nation, other nations, people, animals, you name it. And I’ll never leave it.

But sometimes, especially moments like these, when the house is empty, and I’m exhausted, but have had another fulfilling day, I reflect on the reality of my life. How isolated I really am, how I’ve for all intents and purposes opted out on a lot of life, whether because of risks I’ve feared to take, or because the culture at large has seemed such an unwelcoming place for someone like me. It can sometimes make me feel so alone, which is a feeling I’m used to, having been a single mother for 13 long years.

I reflect on the fact that a lot of times I feel untethered from this world, free-floating, living without meaning because every opportunity for meaning presented is run by another shyster, and no one can reason out purpose for me, that much I know. I know in a rational way that the very fact of my mothering has given my life purpose, but I also long to impact something larger than my family. I know that instilling my vision in one child is not enough–more people need to hear the knowledge being tossed out by our culture daily, before it is lost. I can help, and I want to.

I suspect I’m not alone. I suspect there are men and women like me throughout this nation, and that they could show themselves they aren’t alone if they could only risk stepping out of the shadows, if they could only demand that little bit of time for themselves in the onslaught of daily demands from others. Today showed me how important that is, how energizing it is. And I’m ready to take the next step, and organize locally. I want that energy again, and I want to provoke it in other people. I want this wave to build, even if it’s one superdelegate and one PUMA at a time.

8 comments on “A Way Out of the Web

1. Barb W says:

Wonderful… wonderful… wonderful… thanks for sharing this with all of us!!!

You’re welcome, Barb. Thanks for saying so!

3. commonsensegram says:

Hi Annabelle! Your posts are wonderful! Glad to know you blog is doing so well- wish I could think of something to say on a daily basis- but Others are better at that so I just talk, talk, talk to EVERYBODY! Thank God for blogs like this and Riverdaughter’s and Alegre and NQ- I get lots of talking points from you talented people.

So see- you ARE impacting something larger than your family..

Concrete example- We have a tradition of holiday birthdays in my family- Memorial Day, Fourth of July, even TWO sisters two years apart on Christmas Eve (don’t ask0 I don’t know how) My Mom always felt left out as she felt her birthday did not have any historical or special event attached. WRONG! My Mom’s 83rd birthday is today! 160th anniversary of Seneca Falls convention. I used your post for Mom’s birthday- and truly- she cried. She spent her whole life not knowing that her birthday was connected to one of the most important events in American history.

So thanks AnnaBelle- for caring, for sharing, for educating us- and thanks for helping me give my Mom the best birthday present ever!

I chat at blogtalk radio as ProudMilitaryMom- get with me about going to Denver!

4. […] can read the rest of this blog post by going to the original source, here […]

Wow, thank you so much PMM! That story has made my morning! I’m so glad she could finally find her connection to the day. Tell her I’m so sorry it took this long to get the information to her, and that I’m working on making sure that every person born on July 19th in the future knows this history. 🙂

I will contact you for sure. I can grab your e-mail from the comment. I won’t know for sure about timing until later this week, but I will e-mail you as soon as I know. Thanks!

6. Susan says:

I am extremely fearful of a McCain presidency & what it would mean to our economy, our standing in the world, a 3rd front in a war that our overstretched miltary can not be asked to fight and that our treasury cannot pay for. I fear with McCain there will also be no justice and no sort of reckoning of Bush/Rove crimes. I am afraid that his tax cuts heavily skewed towards the rich, just like the Bush tax cuts will further hollow out the middle class. But most of all I fear a McCain appointed Supreme Court. Ledbetter vs. Goodyear should worry any American woman. McCain didn’t bother to vote on the legislation this travesty of a Supreme Court decision spawned, but indicated he was agaiant the Equal Pay Act for women. So what say you as I see no serious discussions of how anyone who cares about these things can not be more terrified of McCain than anything else at this point in time.

7. Amy Dugan says:

Amy here, leader of that Cincinnati meetup

Mirium’s website is
    womenforpositivechange.org
    She is 80 and so full of energy.

Susan was the other women. 4-5 more would have come if they could have met at my house in Hamilton then went to Cincy, problem was I left the meeting to go to a family reunion.