Truth and Kosequences

I was prepared to let it go with this comment. I didn’t need to write a blog post about it because it seemed pretty self-evident. But then, this came along. And then I saw this:

Markos Moulitsas, a liberal blogger and founder of the Daily Kos Web site, said he had decided to cut back on the amount of money he would contribute to the Obama campaign because of the FISA reversal.

Bolding definitely mine. He “decided to cut back?” Is that what he did? No, that isn’t even remotely accurate about what he did. Back to the original it:

I was going to max out to him today, given I haven’t given Obama a dime yet (focusing on congressional candidates). But I changed my mind. He wants to send the message that he doesn’t need us, all the power to him. Message received. I’ll spend that $2,300 somewhere else.

And now I’m really steamed. If you’re paying attention, the most important part of this is that Markos has not yet given one thin dime to the Obama campaign. That’s right, while Kos was pushing the money angle of the so-called Crashing the Gate crowd, he wasn’t giving up any himself. While financially strapped kossacks were busy eating Ramen noodle and contributing funds from their student loans, Kos was kicked back in his house, reaping the benefits of all of this sacrificing without even the respect for that sacrifice that would compel him to put his fucking money where his mouth is.

And I don’t buy for a second that he was focusing on Congressional Democrats. You do realize that in addition to the Daily Kos Empire (complete with associated merchandise), he also still receives royalties from his book sales and also writes a paid column for Newsweek? He sure as hell ain’t living off Ramen, and I’m sure he hasn’t missed a student loan payment in a while, if he hasn’t paid them off already. Just check out how much money he makes on ads alone at dKos. It’s farking ridiculous. He could have definitely afforded to max out to Obama long ago, and still have had plenty left over to give to Congressional Dems. And I don’t buy the argument that he was trying to preserve his “impartial” reputation, seeing as he declared his support for Obama in February in a post so laced with vitriol for McAuliffe it would have burned had his acidic spittle actually landed on you.

But that’s not even the most ridiculous aspect of it. It has been obvious for days that Obama’s FISA debacle was an act of political theater, the only question that remained was who the audience was. I originally thought it was for the benefit of the mislabeled “center,” and it may be, but I think Markos effectively tips his hand with this little display of liberalism. While I, and many other bloggers, thought the FISA flip was perhaps a show of how Obama isn’t beholden to the DFH crowd (now that he’s exploited them for the primary), I am now wondering if it isn’t a staged show to allow the Netroots left to reclaim its bona fides in light of their reckless behavior during the primary season and since June 3rd.

You watch. That article in the NYT isn’t there for nothing. You watch for Obama to flip flop again, suddenly reclaiming his title of Progressive leader while doing something that ordinary Americans, many of them not progressive in the least, are in favor of. The show is for the so-called center and the base. Very clever. And your puppet blogger at dKos is all part of the show. I hope young kossacks don’t get indigestion after they finish the ramen noodles they were forced to buy when they bought Kos’ rhetoric instead of sustenance.

Yes, Kos is duping you, he’s share-cropping your meager funds, filling your head with bad strategy and now we all have to pay off rich and powerful fuckers who pursue personal gain in the halls of Congress and in the corridors of Washington, not to mention in State Houses and Governor’s mansions across the land. We had it down to a $3 donation on your tax form, for the record. But goodbye to all of that. And you can thank Kos for it.

H/T to my partner in crime, my husband Jake, for the title.

7 comments on “Truth and Kosequences

1. Red Queen says:

I avoid the Big Orange cheetoh like the plague since the “sanctimonious women’s studies set” debacle. So I have been wondering how the fauxgressives are taking the FISA thing and the Faith based organizations thing. Thanks for checking it out for us.

No problem, RQ. We watch so you don’t have to. And then we rinse with bleach. Heh.

I wasn’t there for the women’s studies set conflict. At that time I was still just browsing the front page for articles of interest. I didn’t start commenting until last year, and left after the “Obama darkening debacle of 08.” I didn’t even get the pie “joke” until I researched it after I left.

I do recall reading Crashing the Gate and thinking, good lord, this reads like a middle schooler’s “burn book.” He’s such a freakin’ infant.

3. katiebird says:

RQ, and one funny thing about the whole “sanctimonious women’s studies set” is that that the BIG beneficiary of that episode was The Booman Tribune. But (bizarrely) Booman was just as far into OFB-dom as Kos. (and a search at FundRace doesn’t show any donations from Booman’s so-called real name)

4. katiebird says:

Annabelle, I never read Crashing the Gate. I was never that impressed with Kos as a writer. I was always more of a Diary Browser. I’m much happier with the blogs that have blossomed this spring (and some of the older blogs that I just recently discovered) than I ever was with dKos.

5. sassysenora says:

Annabelle,

thanks for the article. i read yesterday that Kos hadn’t given BO ANY money and spit out my coffee. what a hypocrite! ( i knew that already but didn’t realize he wasn’t even trying to look legit. why would he admit that he’s never given BO any money?)

after all his cheerleading, it seems he was never that much of a BO supporter. i think Kos is as narcissistic as BO. sometimes i think he doesn’t care who wins as long as he gets traffic to his site (attention, power and money for him).

6. bluelyon says:

Omigosh, I love this bit from the NYT article:

For now, the campaign is trying to put a positive spin on the new FISA fight among its supporters.

“The fact that there is an open forum on BarackObama.com where supporters can say whether they agree or disagree speaks to a strength of our campaign,” said Bill Burton, a campaign spokesman.

HaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah, doesn’t it make his supporters feel all strong and powerful that they can go tell Barack how mad they are? Woohoo! In the meantime, BO goes merrily along, doing whatever he damn well pleases.

7. xeno000 says:

It occurred to me the other day that kos is nothing more than a bundler, albeit a low-rent version. He has his Act Blue pages, blegging diaries and other fundraising tools through which Daily Kos funnels huge amounts of cash to dem candidates. Kos gets to take complete credit for all the money raised in that manner, while letting the drones on his site do all the work and cough up all the cash. He then gets to strut about touting the fact that his site is a virtual ATM for the party, while never having to pitch in a dime on his own.

In this rather nefarious manner, kos has managed to become a player just like the folks who collect hundreds of thousands of dollars in checks and deliver them to candidates in exchange for power and access.